Monday, January 6, 2014

Day One

And so ends the first day of my primal challenge.

My exercise lately has been almost nonexistent, as my right knee has been bothering me for a few weeks, so when the urge to sprint hit me early this morning, about 1 in the morning, I ran with it, if you'll pardon the terrible, embarrassing pun. Fortunately for me the so-called "polar vortex" had not yet hit, so the temperature was still in the mid-30's when I decided to run. Unfortunately it happened to be raining at the time.


I did one warm up run up-hill, and two sets of sprints on flat road wearing my minimalist K-Swiss Blade running shoes. They're not quite as minimalist as Vibram FiveFingers, which I wear doing body weight exercises, but I don't think my form is good enough yet and I think I'd probably hurt myself if I wore those to sprint. I would have done more than two sets but my ears felt like they were about to fall off so I packed it in. The unflattering photo was taken as soon as I got home.

Needless to say that after sprinting at 1 in the morning I didn't get to bed until quite late. According to my Sleep Cycle app on my iPhone I went to bed at 1:58 AM, and I can tell you it didn't take long for me to fall asleep either, and woke up at 9:49 AM for a total of seven hours and 50 minutes in bed. Maybe not as much sleep as I generally like to get, but I did wake up on my own and felt fine. Sleep Cycle says that my sleep quality was at 94%, and I wouldn't dispute that assertion.

I had breakfast around 11 AM, consisting of two hamburgers, without the buns, and a big salad. I took my usual 1000 UI vitamin D supplement along with magnesium and omega-3. I then cranked out 10 decline push-ups. I'm trying to create a habit whereby I will wake up and do 10 decline push-ups every morning, but I keep forgetting. So I figured I'd do them late today rather than not at all. I'm going to try to remember tomorrow. Though I think I'll trade my bed for the couch, as my bed is too high to do them properly.

Unfortunately, most of the day outside has hovered around 0 degrees, so I didn't expect to get much other activity throughout the rest of the day. So rather than sit around I decided to go out and shovel the little snow that had accumulated on the driveway. Probably not my best idea as my beard began to freeze pretty quickly, and I was glad that there wasn't that much snow.

I ate dinner at my regular time of around 5 PM, which most people think is early, but I rarely if ever eat more than two meals a day so it works for me. I had roast with carrots and onions. The only drinks I had today consisted of water.

Thanks for reading today.

No comments:

Post a Comment